Friday, August 14, 2009

The Official First Day of School Post

Well, as I said it my last post, Monday was the first day of school. For Trey it was the first day of second grade. Trey loves school and is an old hand at this by now so for him it was mostly anti-climatic. For me it was the first time being in a classroom in 7 1/2 years and I'm still not sure of my feelings about that so we'll just leave it there for now! For Jesse it was a MAJOR milestone...his first time at school ever. I thought there would be tears, at least on my part, but we both handled it pretty well and while I teared up some, I guess I was way to busy to dwell on it, so the flood didn't come. On Monday anyway. The FLOOD came Wednesday. The whole day started bad when I got Jesse up and realized he had flooded the bed. So it was rush, rush to give him a bath and get the sheets on to wash. Then, Jesse didn't want to go to school, said he didn't like it (even though when I picked him on Monday and Tuesday he said that he'd had lots of fun), and was clinging to me and crying when I dropped him off. I left him in Mrs. Hall's lap, with her gently restraining him as he reached out to me. By the time I hit the door of the preschool I was in tears, and by the time I reached the front office the flood had come! Another teacher was dropping off her little one in the preschool when I was leaving and she came to me and told me that by the time she left the preschool (you know, about 3 minutes after me) that Jesse was fine. But it was still heartrending and pretty much ruined my whole day. I was really worried about Thursday, but Jesse got up and said he was ready to go to school and he walked in without any tears. He didn't want to take off his backpack because he was showing it off, but there was no clinging and no tears so I wasn't arguing! Our first week is almost over and I am very thankful about that. I am very blessed to have a job at a fabulous school where both my boys are. I am thankful about that! I just really, really wish that my babies didn't have to grow up quite so fast! Now for the first day of school pictures!

Very excited about the first day of K-3!
Such a big boy walking in!
Hanging up his backpack for the very first time!

Since Trey is such an old hand at this now, and since Daddy took all the "home" pictures this morning and for some reason didn't get any of Trey, and since I was so busy getting all my "stuff" together there aren't too many pictures of him. But we did get the all important first day picture with Trey showing off his backpack so that's what counts, rightTrey's classroom is right beside mine.
I don't know if this is a good thing or not???

1 comment:

Janie said...

Its so hard to leave them that very first day of school! I know that Vera Kate is having issues too. But with God's grace they will get through it and so will we. Its just like you said before, "if it were just my tears then I could handle it, but its harder when they are SO upset." You are a great mom and are handling this new chapter with grace...keep up the good work!