I must admit that it has been a long time since I’ve made this. L.O.N.G. We’re talking years. And years. But when the hubs and I were first married I made it all the time. ALL. THE. TIME. But let’s face it, with a main ingredient of onions my boys are not going to be too keen on this recipe. However for the last several months my hubby has requested it. Several times. So the other day at the store I bought some Vidalia onions. And then dug out the recipe. And sometime soon, once I get a free moment, I’m going to make it. Just for him. And while I was digging out this recipe? I came across several more old favorites that I haven’t made in way to long. I think some of them need to come out of retirement too.
Ingredients:
4 medium cut up onions, sautéed in butter
1 stick margarine
15 saltine or Ritz crackers crushed (I use Ritz and I use more than 15:-)
1 can cream of chicken, mushroom, or celery soup
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 lb shredded cheddar cheese
Meat optional: ham or chicken, cut up and sautéed in butter.
What you do:
First, mix the eggs and milk.
Then, in a large casserole dish, layer as follows:
cracker crumbs-save some for the top
onion
soup
meat (optional)
eggs and milk mixture
cheese
cracker crumbs
Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment