I was blessed to grow up with a large extended family full of grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. My Grandma and Pa lived just a hop, skip, and a jump away and I am so thankful that I got to spend my childhood taking those trips through the field to their house. And while I was an only child, I did have cousins. There were six of us born within 4 years and while we lived in three different cities we were still able to spend much of our young childhoods playing together. I have many fond memories of playing made up games like “Murder in the Dark”, “Ribbons”, and “Caveman” , swinging in the swings & even having them fall on us a time or two, climbing trees, trying to dig to China in the middle of the dirt road, daring each other to walk around Grandma & Pa’s house in the dark, swimming in the lake at Aunt Dot’s, and riding bicycles and tightrope walking on the wall at Aunt Esther’s. And then there are the Aunts. My wonderful Aunts who each remind me of my Grandma in some way, who are always willing to open up their homes, and who love to “Grandmother” and spoil all of the grands who are now running in and out of the house slamming doors.
Last July, Aunt Dot and Uncle Kirby hosted a big family Fourth of July celebration. I wanted to come up early and have the boys photos taken by a former colleague turned stay at home and photographer. Aunt Dot and Uncle Kirby graciously allowed us to invade their home for three nights. And where did my boys sleep? In the guest room. In a tent. The first night we were there they discovered this tent outside. They wanted to sleep in it. BUT. NOT. OUTSIDE. I said no. But Aunt Dot, being the Grandmother that she is, said no problem. So the tent came inside and my boys had the best time “camping” at Aunt Dot’s!
The next day was Aunt Dot’s birthday, but I won’t tell you how young she is.
After cake, it was time to take a ride on the boat. The boys had been begging for a boat ride since we arrived and they could hardly contain their excitement!
After the boat ride it was time for more playing outside. Aunt Dot’s house has so much to do!
And of course no summer day is complete unless you get wet!
Sleeping in a tent, photos on the railroad tracks, Chick-Fil-A, Target, birthday cake, boat rides, gettin’ wet…as you can tell, my boys had a blast visiting Aunt Dot and Uncle Kirby! And for that, I am thankful!
No comments:
Post a Comment