Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Fruit Cobbler

Over the 4th of July weekend I was inspired to try my hand at making fruit cobbler.  There was a yummy peach cobbler at our 2nd of July party.  And when we returned to church on the 3rd of July (remember we had been out of town for quite a while) I was reminded that we had an ice cream social that night that I needed to prepare something for.  And what better to go with homemade ice cream than cobbler.  As a child, I loved my Grandma’s blackberry cobbler so I pulled out our family recipe book and decided to give it a try.

IMG_3852

1 pint blackberries
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 pint water
Mix and cook on top of stove

Okay, that I can handle.  Accomplished and feeling good about my success I continued…

1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp sugar

Mix in a bowl of flour and fix like biscuits but roll longer.  Half dough and roll out real thin and cut into strips (dumplings).  Hmmmm….might be helpful if I had a clue as to how to make biscuits!  So I bought frozen dumplings and used them.  HA!

Now it said to put the dumplings in the berry mixture.  Sprinkle with a little bit of sugar.  Keep doing that until you put all those strips in the berries…hmmm, put them in the berry mixture while it was cooking on the stove or put them in the mixture in the oven pan??????

Put the second half of the dough on top of the whole mixture and brown in the oven until the top is how brown you want it…what?!? no temperature?!?  no degrees?!? 

I muddled my way through it and actually made two delish blackberry cobblers.  One for our church social and one for our 4th of July party.  I also made a peach cobbler based on a recipe I found online.  And it was very yummy!!!  And since all three cobblers were completely eaten I call that a complete success!

Since then I have made a dozen or more cobblers, most of them blueberry.  I have combined my Grandma’s recipe and the online recipe to come up with my very own and I think it’s wonderful!!!  Even my hubby, who at the beginning of this cooking adventure, said “I don’t really care for cobblers,” has devoured quite a few bowl fulls over the past month!

IMG_3859

My Berry Cobbler:

Fruit Filling:

2-3 cups of fruit (blackberries, blueberries, peaches, pears…)
2 cups water (I only use 3/4 of a cup for the blueberry cobbler)
2 cups Splenda
1/2 tsp cinnamon for the peach, pear, or apple cobblers

Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until liquid is syrupy.  About 10 minutes.

To Make Cobbler:

Melt one stick of butter in the bottom of a baking dish.  I prefer to use my Pampered Chef stoneware but have used corning ware and glass, rectangle, oval, circle…

In a small mixing bowl combine:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup splenda
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Stir to blend and then add:
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix well.

Pour on top of butter but DO NOT MIX!

Pour fruit topping on top of batter but DO NOT MIX!

Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes

Enjoy hot out of the oven with ice cream!

IMG_3919IMG_3923

No comments: